Thursday, February 25, 2010

Where has time gone?...the last 3 weeks

Wow so I’ve realized its been two weeks since I last updated, where has time gone? To be fair, I’ve been quite busy. Here goes the week of Feb 8-14. This was a fairly normal week. After the robbery I had a few scrapes on my knees. Everyone in my classes were very curious as to how I got injured. Of course I told them the story, and mostly the reply was, “Oh I’m so sorry that happened” or “Hey if it helps, I’ve been robbed also.” At least I was not the only person to get robbed. The week was pretty normal, well as normal as it gets in Botswana. I played lots of softball this week. I also traveled to a local school for a project that I have to do in one of my classes. The school is out of Gabs and you have to take a combi to get there. I just dropped off a letter to the teacher explaining what the project was. I have to do a project where I go to a school and observe a kid who could potentially have ADHD. You have to observe at least 6 times. Its an interesting project. The weekend was fairly uneventful. On Saturday Feb 13 we went out to celebrate my friend’s birthday.

Monday came and it was sure a rough one. I had an essay that I finished over the weekend and turned in on Monday. I also had an illustrated essay for my Traditional African Architecture Class that was due Tuesday. It was about describing, by drawing and words, the setting and place I grew up in. I also started studying for the 4 tests I had later in the week. I had two tests on Thursday Feb 18, one on Friday, and one on Sunday. I can’t believe I took a test on Sunday, I’ve never taken a test on Sunday before in my entire life. It was strange and took up the whole weekend. I did play all 7 innings in a softball game on Saturday. On Sunday I was finally done. It was quite a hectic week of school. Its really the first time I had to study and turn in papers, so I should not be complaining.

On Monday Feb 22 I went to Bull and Bush for 55 Pula ribs with about 10 of my friends. It was a nice start to the week. On Tuesday I traveled to the school, hoping to observe a kid for my project, but the teacher was not in and therefore I was unsuccessful. On Wednesday, I got my first haircut in Riverwalk Mall. My hair was so long, as I had not had a haircut since mid December. It felt good to get a haircut and I finally got a new camera! You will see pictures soon. Today was a success because I traveled to the school, received a kid to observe for the project, and then got to observe her. It sure is interesting sitting in a classroom in Botswana, I’ll go in detail in a later post. I also got a 1.25 liter of Coke in a glass bottle, how cool is that? I didn’t know they made glass bottles that big.

As I finish this post, I am just about to leave for my spring/ short break trip. In my next post I will go in detail about some observations and more daily life in Gabs. For now I’m going on a 14 day adventure. I’m going to Maputo in Mozambique. From there I’m going to be in a rented house on Tofo beach in Mozambique. I’m traveling with four friends. I’m going to be snorkeling and doing tons of swimming. Also a visit to national park that is a group of islands is another activity. The last half of the trip I’m going to Kruger National Park where my friend and I will take a safari organized by our hostel which includes a one night stay in the park. Also we’ll do some hiking in the area and then make our way back to Gabs. Its going to be a great trip with lots to see and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment