Monday, January 25, 2010

Just A Brief Introduction

So as many of you know I am currently studying abroad in Gaborone, Botswana. This marks my second consecutive semester abroad. While the University of Denver is on the quarter system, every place outside the US is on the semester system. Most students at my school only study abroad for only a semester and it is usually during the fall of their junior year. Very few students go abroad for the entire year. One of the reasons that I can go abroad for the entire year is because I have not taken any classes that don’t count towards my major. Back in the fall of 2008 I knew I had wanted to study abroad. I have to give credit to my friend Roy, who gave me the idea to study abroad for the entire year. He is also studying abroad for the year as well. Last semester he studied in Florence, Italy and is now going to be in Oman for the second semester. Last semester in Europe, I was fortunate enough to meet up with him and another friend in Paris, Normandy beaches, and Brussels, Belgium. Roy, if you are reading this, that was such a memorable trip, I had so much fun. So anyways, I figured out that I could study abroad for the year and was extremely excited. I knew I wanted to do a European experience during one of my semester s. I decided to go to Budapest on CIEE (Council for International Educational Exchange) program and absolutely loved it. I had so much fun with everyone in the group and traveled a ton.


So why Africa? For my second semester I wanted to go somewhere unique and a bit off the beaten path. Botswana topped that list. I had considered going to South Africa, but I figured I would be a little adventurous and try a country where I knew absolutely nothing about. Only one other student from DU has studied at the University of Botswana. He partially studied here last semester. Also DU had an affiliation with a program called Interstudy. Insterstudy attracted me for a variety of reasons. I could pick all of my classes, got to live on campus, and included in the program was an orientation and several excursions within Botswana. So far it has been excellent. Botswana is full of adventure and endless travel opportunities. As I go through the semester I hope to fully discover what life is like in Southern Africa

I have created this blog to detail my experiences throughout my semester in Gaborone, Botswana. I think it is important to document and share your memories. I think that Africa is a bit of an unknown for most people and I would like to share my stories so that you have a maybe a slightly better understanding of what Africa is. I warn you know that I am certainly not the best writer, but I will always try hard to produce something I think you would like to read. Also I have never done a blog before. Always feel free to contact me through email, facebook, and even skype. I am always open for contact, especially if you are particularly curious about something.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog start Matt. I hope to read many of your posts and gain insight as to what life is like in Southern Africa. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. parents are not allowed to post comments. sorry wayne. :)

    ReplyDelete